Monday 13 December 2010

Lady Bug Says ... On the 5th Day Of Christmas

I made red velvet cupcakes and they were damn tasty!
I used the Hummingbird Bakery recipe and definitely recommend that you give these a go!


Ingredients


60g unsalted butter, at room temperature
150g caster sugar
1 egg
10g cocoa powder
20ml red food colouring
½tsp vanilla extract
120ml buttermilk
150g plain flour
½tsp salt
½tsp bicarbonate of soda
1½tsp white wine vinegar

For the cream cheese frosting:
300g icing sugar, sifted
50g unsalted butter, at room temperature
125g cream cheese, cold

Method

1- Preheat oven to 170 degree C/325 degree F/gas mark 3

2-Cream together butter and sugar(seriously recommend using an electric whisk for this!) Once light and fluffy beat in the egg.

3- In a separate bowl mix together cocoa powder, vanilla essence and food colouring into a paste. Add to butter mixture and combine thoroughly.

4- Add half of the buttermilk and mix, then add half of the flour and mix until combined. Repeat with remaining buttermilk and flour.

5- Mix in salt, bicarbonate of soda and white wine vinegar. Mix everything well.

6- Spoon into muffin cases(makes around 12) and bake for 20-25 mins.

7-Whilst baking make the frosting. Beat butter and icing sugar together. Then add the cream cheese and whisk for a few minutes until fluffy. (I just topped with butter cream icing as I forgot to buy cream cheese!)

8- Once cakes are cool spread the frosting on top and finish with sprinkles/chocolate flakes/anything pretty that takes your fancy!

9- Enjoy!

Today Next are giving away His and Her pamper packs worth over £200, definitely something I could do with in the crazy run up to Christmas!

Click on the icon below to enter!

7 comments:

  1. Wow :) these look awesome! I was really wanting to bake some cupcakes for christmas day, and these look fab so I may need to steal this recipie and let you know how I get on :) thanks for sharing miss! I bought my gran the hummingbird bakery book for christmas. last weekend she made us tiffen and meriangues (not from the book, but equally as yummy) I am such a sweet tooth! ♥ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look divine! mmmmmm..........

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look gorgeous! I love the Hummingbird Bakery cookbook :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, adding these to my ever growing to bake list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mm, they do look rather yummy! i think i would prefer them with normal butter icing anyway, i'm not really a fan of cream cheese frosting ;S

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look amazing. Yumyumyum.

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...